Sunday 30 May 2010

A change on the horizon?

As I’ve vaguely mentioned already, over the past of weeks I’ve had a pretty rough ride. It’s really making me consider what I should do next? I’ve been looking into a career change for a while, but having little to no luck. I’m finding it increasingly harder to find the self-confidence and self belief I can still pursue my dreams and ambitions.

I’ve always wanted to do something creative or helping people and struggled for years to define exactly what I want to do. I’ve gone from design, to nursing, to creative communications (whatever that may be). After spending a lot of time with one of my best friends whose been looking after me through all this I had the opportunity to meet an artist friend of hers who was visiting from Canada.

I chatted with them both a lot and they’ve made me realise that once I’m in a better position to do it I should stop finding excuses, as I always manage to find one, start looking after myself more and go out to find what my next challenge is.

I’ve been considering doing this in various ways – a new job in London? New job, new city in the UK? Travel? Or even look into working abroad for a few months to broaden my horizons. This something I’ve wanted to do for years but never really found the right opportunity or time to do it. It’s an experience I would have liked to have shared as I’m not the most outgoing or confident person but may be this would help with that as there is no one to even consider sharing this with at the moment.

I got in touch with a friend who moved to Hong Kong after university and asked her for some pointers, I’m not sure China would be a place I’d want to work, although it is on my list of places to visit. She gave me some very frank advise that I hadn’t taken into consideration but helpful none the less.

I’m hoping that in the next few weeks I’ll be able to set some firm decisions, which is exciting and daunting. Either way I’m hoping for some new challenges and experiences over the summer and hopefully defining what I want to do as a career more. Still pursue something in the creative industry, potential involving communications in some way? Maybe something involving Social Media which I’m finding more and more interesting or may be something completely different.

Time to do so serious thinking!

1 comment:

  1. change is good! there are many opportunities waiting for you. why wait for something to happen! ;) xo
    p.s. thanks for the honourable mention... i am blushing!

    ReplyDelete